Road Closures Due to Flooding
The George Price Highway is closed to those en route to Belmopan from Cayo and Benque. Bullet Tree, Benque, Arenal, Santa Familia, Spanish Lookout, Valle of Peace Roaring Creek, Dangriga, Hopkins, Sarawee, Hope Creek, Mullins River, Freetown Sibun areas and sections of Belize City and numerous communities in the Belize District are experiencing severe flooding. Roads that are flooded and/or impassable are the Bullet Tree and Santa Familia roads (Spanish Lookout is now NOT accessible via Valley of Peace road), Calla Creek road, Santa Rosa road to Calla Creek, More Tomorrow M & S road, Sittee River bypass to Hopkins, and the Coastal Road from Hope Creek to Gales Point junction.
All crossings in the Cayo district are flooded or at risk of flooding except the main crossings: Hawkesworth and the Santa Elena bypass (new) bridge. If you do not need to be on the George Price, Hummingbird and Southern Highway and other roadways, please stay home to ensure that you are not trapped or injured.
Еvеrуоnе іѕ urgеd tо mоvе tо а ѕаfе lосаtіоn, particularly those near rivers and streams. Моrе соmmunіtіеѕ may ехреrіеnсе flооdіng аѕ wаtеr runnіng оff mоuntаіnѕ аnd hіllѕ increase. Іf уоu саn ѕhеltеr іn уоur hоmе, рlасе fооd аnd vаluаblе іtеmѕ оut оf thе rеасh оf flооdwаtеrs. Please do not wait until the last minute. Take swift and appropriate action to ensure your safety.
Actions to Take
- Avoid travel to the cayes until the storm has dissipated.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Make contingency plans to leave.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Have travel documents up to date and easily accessible.
- Carry proper Identification, including a U.S. passport
- Have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Seek secure shelter.
- Visit the NEMO (http://site.nemo.org.bz/) and NOAA (http://www.nws.noaa.gov/warnings.php) for updated storm tracking information.
U.S. Embassy Belmopan, Belize