Event: HURRICANE LISA EXPECTED TO MAKE LANDFALL WITHIN 24 HOURS
The National Emergency Management Organization (NEMO) declared a Hurricane Warning for the entire coast of Belize effective 12:00 p.m., November 1, 2022. NEMO forecasts Tropical Storm Lisa will make landfall as a hurricane within the next 24 hours and advises the public to put emergency action plans into effect and voluntarily relocate to a safe place. The Philip Goldson International Airport (PGIA) will close tonight. Sea ports will close at 07:00 a.m. on Wednesday, November 2. NEMO predicts heavy rain across Belize on Wednesday and Thursday with peak rainfall between 2-4 inches daily and cumulative rainfall between 6-10 inches. Expect flooding and road closures in some areas. The Government of Belize discourages general movement of the public on Wednesday and noted that only essential services will be operational. NEMO will open public shelters beginning tonight at 06:00 p.m. Please monitor local news for updates as the storm develops.
U.S. Embassy Belmopan will cancel and reschedule all routine consular services through Friday, November 4. All U.S. citizens living in, or traveling to, affected areas should monitor weather reports, follow directions from local officials, and take other appropriate actions as needed, including:
- Activate your family/emergency plan.
- Avoid unnecessary travel.
- Seek secure shelter, especially if you live in a low-lying area or vulnerable coastal community.
- Monitor local news for updates.
- Contact the NEMO coordinator for your region (located below) for storm-related emergencies and evacuation protocol.
The NEMO emergency hotline is 936, and a list of regional and district coordinators is posted to their website.
Actions to Take:
- Visit Travel.State.Govfor hurricane preparedness information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Programto receive alerts
- Consult the CDC websitefor hurricane preparedness information.
- Consult the U.S. Department of Homeland Security websitefor hurricane preparedness information.
- Consult the NEMO websitefor storm updates.
- U.S. Embassy Belmopan, Belize
Floral Park Road, Belmopan, Cayo, Belize
ConsulBelize@state.gov or ACSBelize@state.gov
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Belize Country Information