Location: Ambergris Caye
Event: The U.S. Embassy has become aware of a recent increase in targeted gender-based assaults in the northern area of Ambergris Caye. Specifically, in the past months there have been at least three incidents of women traveling alone, being held against their will and assaulted. We encourage all Americans to use caution and to exercise good personal safety and security practices. We strongly encourage anyone who has been a victim of crime to report the incident(s) to local police and US Embassy Belmopan at ACSBelize@state.gov.
Actions to Take:
- Exercise increased caution both at home and while you are traveling in the area.
- Do not travel in remote areas alone or after dark.
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Be vigilant when visiting banks or ATMs.
- Use caution when walking or driving at night.
- Do not physically resist any robbery attempt.
- U.S. Embassy Belmopan, Belize
Floral Park Road, Belmopan, Cayo, Belize
Tel: +501 822-4011
Email: ConsulBelize@state.gov or ACSBelize@state.gov
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Belize Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for up-to-date information
If you would like to unsubscribe from these messages, follow the link below. Select “unsubscribe” and enter your email address.