Event: Flooding and road closure due to excessive rain
***See the attached Flood Advisory from the Belize National Emergency Management Organization (NEMO) for contact information. ***
FLOOD WARNING: The public is advised not to travel on many secondary roads in the rural areas, and in particular on two of our major highways, due to the road approach near Mile 38 1/2 on the George Price Highway between Belize City and Belmopan, and on the Hummingbird Highway between Dangriga and Belmopan due road washout in St. Margaret’s Village.
If you do not absolutely need to travel, STAY HOME as only emergency (life-saving) travel is recommended. Parents are advised to monitor their children and do not let them play or walk in floodwaters. All are advised not to cross flooded rivers and creeks. SIX INCHES OF FLOOD WATERS CAN SWEEP YOU OFF YOUR FEET. If where you are is not safe, move to higher ground and move away from streams and riverside.
Motorists are asked to drive with extreme caution when driving the highways and secondary roads. DO NOT DRIVE THROUGH FLOOD WATER, IT CAN BE VERY DANGEROUS.
We remind all American citizens in Belize that the current State of Emergency is still in effect until June 30, 2020. Please continue to monitor the U.S. Embassy website: https://bz.usembassy.gov/ and Facebook page, the Government of Belize Press Office: https://www.pressoffice.gov.bz/press-releases/ as well as local radio and television stations for updates on Covid-19 and the continuing weather situation. Do not listen to rumors on social media or elsewhere.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 https://bz.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/ for updated information on conditions in Belize.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Embassy Belmopan, Belize
- Floral Park Road, Belmopan, Cayo, Belize
- +501 822-4011
- ConsulBelize@state.gov or ACSBelize@state.gov
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Belize Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook