Travel Alert – U.S. Embassy Belmopan, Belize (19-JUN-2020)
Event: UPDATE Flooding and road closure due to excessive rain
REGION 7 – Flood levels on the RIO HONDO at Blue Creek, Santa Cruz, San Antonio, San Roman, and Douglas is rising. The NEW RIVER at Tower Hill and Caledonia is above normal and rising.
REGION 9 – On the MACAL RIVER, reservoir level remains above the spillway at Chalillo, Mollejon and Vaca facility. At San Ignacio, levels are above the low-level bridge. The MOPAN RIVER at Benque Viejo Town is at bank full stage and falling. On the BELIZE RIVER, levels at Banana Bank and Double Run are above normal and rising. The CROOKED TREE LAGOON is below the causeway and rising.
REGION 11 – The SIBUN RIVER near Freetown Sibun is at flood stage and continues to rise. Levels are rising on the SOUTHERN LAGOON near Gales Point Village. The SITTEE RIVER at Kendal Bridge is above normal and falling. The Swasey and Bladen branch of the MONKEY RIVER is at Flood stage. Levels are rising on the RIO GRANDE at San Pedro Columbia and Big Falls. The MOHO RIVER at Jordan is above normal and rising.
REGION 13 – The TEMASH RIVER near Crique Sarco is above normal and rising.
WEEKEND FLOOD FORECAST– FLOOD WARNING IN EFFECT FOR ALL REGIONS
REGION 7 – On the RIO HONDO, River levels is expected become steady at Blue Creek, and a gradual increase in expected downstream at Santa Cruz, San Antonio, San Roman, and Douglas. Above normal and increasing levels is expected on the NEW RIVER at Tower Hill and Caledonia.
REGION 9 – On the MACAL RIVER, reservoir level is expected to become steady at Chalillo, Mollejon and Vaca facilities. At San Ignacio, levels are expected to remain above the Low-Level Bridge. The MOPAN RIVER at Benque Viejo Town is expected to continue falling. On the BELIZE RIVER, at Banana Bank and Double Run, above normal and steady levels are expected. On the CROOKED TREE LAGOON levels will continue to rise slowly and remain below the causeway.
Region 11 -Flood stage at Freetown Sibun on the SIBUN RIVER is expected to recede to above normal levels. On the SOUTHERN LAGOON near Gales Point Village, above normal and steady levels is expected. Levels on the SITTEE RIVER at Kendal Bridge, will become steady. The Swasey and Bladen branch of the MONKEY RIVER, will remain at Flood stage. Levels on the RIO GRANDE at San Pedro Columbia and Big Falls will gradually increase. Levels on the MOHO RIVER at Jordan is expected to increase.
REGION 13 – On the TEMASH RIVER levels is expected to gradually increase.
The Next Flood Report and Forecast will be issued on Monday June 22, 2020 at 12 noon.
We remind all American citizens in Belize that the current State of Emergency is still in effect until June 30, 2020. Please continue to monitor the U.S. Embassy website: https://bz.usembassy.gov/ and Facebook page, the Government of Belize Press Office: https://www.pressoffice.gov.bz/press-releases/ as well as local radio and television stations for updates on Covid-19 and the continuing weather situation. Do not listen to rumors on social media or elsewhere.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 https://bz.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/ for updated information on conditions in Belize.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s websiteon the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Embassy Belmopan, Belize
Floral Park Road, Belmopan, Cayo, Belize
ConsulBelize@state.gov or ACSBelize@state.gov
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Belize Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook