Event: On Monday March 30, 2020, The Prime Minister announced his intent to request that the Governor General declare a 30-day State of Emergency in Belize. The State of Emergency will take effect on midnight Wednesday April 1, 2020 and includes a nightly curfew from 20:00 pm to 05:00 am. The purpose of the measures is to ensure that everyone in Belize complies with social distancing practices in order to slow the spread of the COVID-19 virus in the country. A list of essential services and workers is being finalized. Banks and markets will remain open and people are encouraged to only leave their homes for reasons such as food shopping or other essential travel.
We urge everyone to help prevent the spread of this pandemic. The public is urged to practice good hygiene by washing hands and following the guidelines of the Ministry of Health and the Government of Belize.
While there are currently no planned repatriation flights, if you are a U.S. citizen who is considering returning to the United States from Belize, please enroll in STEP at https://step.state.gov/ and provide your name and contact information to our email address: email@example.com so we can contact you as soon as we have any updates.
Your email message should include the following information:
- Your full name as spelled in your passport
- Information we can use to contact you now – a current phone number and email address.
- Your date of birth (MM/DD/YYYY)
- Your passport number, and its date of issuance and expiration. If it is not a U.S. passport, please note the country that issued it. Please also note any non-U.S. citizen immediate family members traveling with you.
- Please note your current location (city and country) and any special needs you may have, such as medical issues.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 https://bz.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/ for updated information on conditions in Belize.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Embassy Belmopan, Belize
Floral Park Road, Belmopan, Cayo, Belize
ConsulBelize@state.gov or ACSBelize@state.gov
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Belize Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook