Event: Travel Advisory Level 4: Do not travel to Belize due to COVID-19.
Do not travel to Belize due to COVID-19. Exercise increased caution in Belize due to crime.
Read the Department of State’s COVID-19 page before you plan any international travel.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 4 Travel Health Notice for Belize due to current COVID-19 conditions.
Travelers to Belize may experience border closures, airport closures, travel prohibitions, stay-at-home orders, business closures, and other emergency conditions within Belize due to the evolving COVID-19 situation. Visit the Embassy’s COVID-19 page for more information on COVID-19 in Belize.
Belize City – Violent Crime
U.S. citizens should avoid traveling to Belize City. Historically, much of the violent crime in Belize has occurred in the Southside of Belize City and has been related to gang activity. This area (south of Haulover Creek Canal and continuing south to Fabers Road) does not overlap the established tourism areas.
All visitors should maintain an elevated level of vigilance and reduce their exposure to crime-related risks by practicing good safety and security practices.
Read the country information page.
If you decide to travel to Belize:
- See the U.S. Embassy’s web page regarding COVID-19.
- Visit the CDC’s webpage on Travel and COVID-19.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Avoid walking or driving at night.
- Do not physically resist any robbery attempt.
- Be extra vigilant when visiting banks or ATMs.
- Do not display signs of wealth, such as wearing expensive watches or jewelry.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Report for Belize.
- U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 https://bz.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/ for updated information on conditions in Belize.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Embassy Belmopan, Belize
Floral Park Road, Belmopan, Cayo, Belize
Tel: +501 822-4011
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Belize Country Information
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for up-to-date information
If you would like to unsubscribe from these messages, follow the link below. Select “unsubscribe” and enter your email address.
Note: The timestamp on this e-mail message may reflect Washington, D.C., time, which may differ from local time.