The Government of Belize’s tropical storm warning remains in effect for Tropical Storm Franklin from Belize City up to the Corozal district. Shelters will be opened in San Pedro, Caye Caulker, Belize City, Orange Walk and Corozal.
Tropical Storm Franklin continues to move to the west-north-west at 13 mph with maximum sustained winds near 60 mph. Heavy rainfall is expected over Belize, which may lead to flash floods, particularly in the south. Rainfall of 3-6 inches is anticipated, with gusty winds and severe thunderstorms. There is a possibility that Franklin could strengthen and reach hurricane strength just before making landfall tonight.
Be sure to locate a shelter, monitor media reports, and follow all official instructions. Carry your travel documents at all times (e.g., U.S. passport, birth certificate, picture ID’s, etc.) or secure them in a safe, waterproof location. You should also contact friends and family in the United States with updates on your whereabouts.
- For local updates, please visit http://site.nemo.org.bz/ or by call the National Emergency Management Organization at 501-822-2054/hotline 936. NEMO emergency coordinators can be reached as follows:
Corozal: Mr. Williard Levy at 623-0237;
Orange Walk: Ms. Suliema Celiz at 605 5046, or Mr. Aragon at 636 6094;
Belize District: Mr. Lionel Tillett at 6154834 and Mr. Kevin Pollard at 621 2275;
San Pedro: Ms. Vanessa Parham at 632 3698;
Belize City: Ms. Timrose Augustine at 600 8672;
Belmopan: Ms. Clare Moody at 630 9791;
Cayo: Mr. Al Westby at 630 3224 or Mr. Johnny Ramclam at 625 2526;
Stann Creek: Mr. Keith Emmanuel at 615 9711; and
Toledo, Mr. Kenton Parham at 630 9787.
- For continued updates on this tropical wave, residents and travelers are advised to monitor the storm at nhc.noaa.gov.
For any emergencies involving U.S. citizens, please contact the American Citizens Services (ACS) Unit in the U.S. Embassy at ACSBelize@state.gov or by calling 501-822-4011.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Belize Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Belize, located at 4 Flora Park Road, Belmopan at +501-822-4011, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +501-610-5030.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Facebook.