Location: Southside Belize City, Belize
Event: On September 4th, Belize’s Governor General declared a state of emergency for areas of Southside Belize City. The state of emergency is effect for the next thirty days. Police and Belize Defense Force will enforce check points throughout the south side and have increased authorities to detain individuals.
Actions to Take:
- Exercise increased caution in Southside Belize City.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Avoid crowds.
- Follow all instructions of Belize authorities.
- Keep a low profile.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Be vigilant when visiting banks or ATMs.
- Use caution when walking or driving at night.
- Do not physically resist any robbery attempt.
U.S. Embassy Belmopan, Belize
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Follow us on Facebook.