Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Belmopan, Belize (20-MAR-2020)
Event: The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19.
The Department of State has no higher priority than the safety and security of U.S. citizens overseas. While there are still no confirmed cases of COVID-19 reported in Belize, the COVID-19 National Oversight Committee announced today additional border closings as outlined below.
The Philip Goldson International Airport will be closed effective Monday, March 23rd, after the last scheduled flight departs. Again, these measures only apply to the movement of people and do not apply to cargo trucks or cargo planes. U.S. citizens who live in the United States should arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period. U.S. citizens who live abroad should avoid all international travel.
Below are the customer service numbers and websites to contact major airlines with flights from Belize to the United States.
- American Airline
1 800-433-7300 or 1 800-633-3711
- Delta Airlines
- Southwest Airlines
- United Airlines
Effective 11:59 p.m. on Saturday, March 21st, the Northern Border of Belize, which includes the Corozal Free Zone, will be closed for traveling but will remain open for cargo transportation. This means that only Belizean nationals, residents, and diplomats residing in Belize will be allowed entry into Belize subject to inspection and possible quarantine for 14 days. Similarly, the Northern Border will be closed for nationals and residents wishing to travel outside of Belize except for emergencies.
In addition, the COVID-19 National Oversight Committee also announced social gathering limits to 25 people or less. This limit does not apply to places of employment. All border closings and other restrictions will be reviewed after 30 days.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 2 Global COVID-19 Outbreak Notice.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 https://bz.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/ for updated information on conditions in Belize.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Embassy Belmopan, Belize
Floral Park Road, Belmopan, Cayo, Belize
ConsulBelize@state.gov or ACSBelize@state.gov
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Belize Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook