Event: Updated COVID-19 Testing Requirement for International Air Travel to the USA
On December 6, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) will implement a 24-hour COVID-19 testing requirement for travelers over age of two coming to the United States. Regardless of vaccination status or nationality, any individual traveling to the United States must show a negative COVID-19 viral test taken within 24 hours of departure to the United States. You must show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight.
If you have recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with medical documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flight’s departure from a foreign country, and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).
These requirements are for all air passengers two years of age or older boarding a flight from a foreign country to the United States.
REMINDER: All non-U.S.-citizen and non-immigrant (i.e. not a U.S. passport holder, lawful permanent resident, or traveling to the United States on an immigrant visa) airline passengers traveling to the United States must demonstrate proof of vaccination as defined by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Director Order prior to boarding a U.S.-bound aircraft. More details regarding what constitutes “full vaccination” are available on this page of the CDC website.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- Check with your air carriers or travel representative prior to departure for the United States. We strongly encourage all travelers to Belize to purchase travel insurance that would cover medivac transportation to the USA.
- Check COVID-19 Country Specific Information pages for updated information on COVID-19 related to the availability of testing.
- Visit travel.state.gov to view individual Travel Advisories for the most urgent threats to safety and security.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- Click here for our Travel to the U.S. FAQs.
- U.S. Embassy Belmopan, Belize
Floral Park Road, Belmopan, Cayo, Belize
Tel: +501 822-4011
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Belize Country Information
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for up-to-date information