Ask a COVID-19 Question
Last updated: [11/06/2020]
- The international airport is open. However, land borders and seaports remain closed. Grocery stores and other stores are currently open, all customers are required to wear a mask. Most stores ask customers to wash their hands or use hand sanitizer before entering their premises and some stores also take customers’ temperature. Restaurants are open with a 10-person limit for indoor dining, but most are available for delivery services. Churches, social events, and private parties are allowed with the 10 persons limit. Gyms and bars remained closed.
Entry and Exit Requirements:
- Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter? Yes.
- Is a negative COVID 19 test PCR and or serology required for entry? Yes. All tests should be taken within 72 hours of your flight to Belize. If it has been more than 72 hours, travelers are able to take a rapid test at the airport. The cost is USD $50 per passenger. The Government of Belize also requests that travelers download the Belize Health application on their mobile device and complete required information within 72 hours of the traveler’s flight to Belize. After completing the form in the health app, travelers should screenshot their unique ID and QR code to show the Health Officer upon arrival in Belize. A negative test will fast track arrival processing. However, depending on the health screening results, the traveler may be randomly selected for secondary testing. See details at Government of Belize links: Belize Ministry of Foreign Affairs website; Government of Belize COVID-19 website
- Are health screening procedures in place at airports and other ports of entry? Yes. These procedures include mandatory health screenings upon arrival. Travelers are required to present negative COVID-19 tests results.
- All Department of Immigration Offices are currently open throughout the country and all U.S. citizens are required to maintain their immigration status at all times. Please visit the Belize Ministry of Immigration website for additional details: Belize Ministry of Immigration
- Is a curfew in place? No.
- Are there restrictions on intercity or interstate travel? No. There are no travel restrictions at this time. However, wearing a mask is mandatory in public spaces.
- Are U S citizens required to quarantine? No. U.S. citizens are not required to quarantine if they present negative test results. If they present positive test results, they must quarantine for a minimum of 14-days at their own expense.
- At this time, The Ministry of Health is only administering COVID-19 tests to those they have identified as having COVID-19 symptoms after concluding contact mapping. Any U.S. citizen in Belize who believes they may have COVID-19 symptoms should contact the Ministry of Health by visiting the following website: Government of Belize COVID-19 website
- Are commercial flights operating? Yes.
- Is public transportation operating? Yes, public transportation is currently operating within Belize. All passengers are required to wear masks.
Fines for Non-Compliance:
- There is a BLZ $5,000 fine and possible two-year prison sentence for non-compliance with host country regulations regarding social distancing, parties, and mask mandates.
- U.S. Embassy Belmopan is currently providing American citizen services. Please contact ACSBelize@state.gov for additional information and questions.
- U.S. Embassy Belmopan is currently only providing emergency Nonimmigrant visa services and limited Immigrant visa services. Please contact ConsulBelize@state.gov for additional information and questions.