Last updated: [12/07/21]
*** Effective November 8, 2021, all non-immigrant, non-U.S. citizen air travelers to the United States will be required to be fully vaccinated and to provide proof of vaccination status prior to boarding an airplane to the United States.
All air passengers 2 years or older with a flight departing to the U.S. from a foreign country on or after December 6, 2021, are required to show a negative COVID-19 viral test result taken no more than 1 day before travel, or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days, before they board their flight.
Exemptions will be considered on an extremely limited basis. Please contact your nearest embassy or consulate to apply for an exemption. Please visit the CDC webpages for more information about exemptions and the requirement for proof of negative COVID-19 test or recovery from COVID-19 for all air passengers arriving in the United States.
- Belize is currently experiencing high COVID-19 infection rates and a curfew is currently in effect across the country daily from 19:00 pm to 04:00 am with the exception of tourist areas San Pedro, Caye Caulker, Placencia, and Hopkins where the curfew is from 21:00 pm to 04:00 am. Persons are not permitted to be in any public space during this time and risk a fine if found in contravention of the regulation. The international airport is open with available flights to many cities in the USA. Land borders at Santa Elena (Mexico) and Benque Viejo del Carmen (Guatemala), as well as sea borders at Corozal, San Pedro, and Punta Gorda are open, but only for those who wish to visit Belize for recreation and vacation purposes and are pre-booked at gold standard certified accommodations. Grocery stores and other stores are currently open with limits on the number of shoppers allowed. Restaurants are currently only available for take-out service with the exception of the tourist areas of San Pedro, Caye Caulker, Placencia, and Hopkins. Casinos and churches are open with COVID-19 mitigation measures in effect. Contact sports are prohibited. Sunday September 26 and Sunday October 3 are considered no movement days except for medical emergencies or for the purchase of fuel, food, or medication.
- Q: What measures do you recommend U.S. citizens who do travel take to protect themselves? A: Beyond following the requirements and recommendations of local health services overseas, we urge U.S. citizens to review the CDC’s travel testing and self-quarantine recommendations for U.S. citizens and to acquire medical insurance with overseas coverage for expenses related to COVID-19 testing and treatment.
- Are PCR and/or antigen tests available for U.S. citizens in Belize? Yes
- If so, are test results reliably available within 72 hours? Yes
The following are vetted private labs currently offering same-day results for a COVID-19 Rapid Antigen test that can be used for travel purposes:
- Central Health Region: +501 223-2722
- Cleopatra White Polyclinic: +501 223-5213 or +501 223-0131
- Otto Rodriquez Polyclinic (San Pedro): +501 226-2536
- Caye Caulker Health Center: +501 226-0166 or +501 600-9539
- Corozal Community Hospital: +501 422-3903
Orange Walk District:
- Northern Regional Hospital: +501 322-1560
- Western Regional Hospital: +501 822-2263 or +501 822-2264
- San Ignacio Hospital: +501 824-2167
Stann Creek District:
- Southern Regional Hospital: +501 522-3832 or +501 522-3835
- Independence Polyclinic: +501 523-2167
- Punta Gorda Hospital: +501 722-2026 or +501 722-2161
Approved Covid-19 Testing Facilities: Private
- D’s Clinic
Dr. Dimas Sansorez
Telephone: +501 620-2369
- Belize Medical Associates
Telephone: +501 223-0302 or +501 223-0303
- Belize Healthcare Partners
Telephone: +501 223-7870
- Belize Diagnostic Center
Telephone: +501 613-8378
- Caring Hands at Home Medical Services
Telephone: +501 672-2273
- Luke’s Medical Center
Telephone: +501 822-2379
- Belmopan Medical Center
Telephone: +501 674-7259 or +501 822-3022
COVID-19 Vaccine Information:
- Has the government of Belize approved a COVID-19 vaccine for use? Yes
- Are vaccines available in Belize for U.S. citizens to receive? Yes, vaccines are available for foreign residents in Belize including U.S. citizens age 12 and older.
- Which vaccines are available in Belize? At this time the AstraZeneca Vaxzevria and the Pfizer-BioNTech are available in Belize.
- Visit the FDA’s website to learn more about FDA-approved vaccinesin the United States.
- The U.S. government does not plan to provide COVID-19 vaccinations to private U.S. citizens overseas. Please follow host country developments and guidelines for COVID-19 vaccination.
Entry and Exit Requirements
- Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter? Yes
- Is a negative COVID-19 test (PCR and/or serology) required for entry? Yes
- Are health screening procedures in place at airports and other ports of entry? Yes
- Please visit the information page of the Belize Tourism Bureau for the latest information on entry requirements in Belize.
- Is a curfew in place? Yes
- On September 19, 2021, a curfew is in place daily from 19:00 pm to 04:00 am except in the tourist areas of San Pedro, Caye Caulker, Placencia, and Hopkins where the curfew hours are 21:00 pm to 04:00 am. Persons are not permitted to be in any public space during this time and risk a fine if found in contravention of the regulation.
- Are there restrictions on intercity or interstate travel? Yes
- Sunday September 26 and Sunday October 3 are no movement days except for medical emergencies or the purchase of food, fuel, or medication.
- Tourists visiting Belize can normally move about freely, however it is recommended that they remain within the Tourism Safe Corridor. The Safe Corridor includes Gold Standard certified accommodations, tour operators, tourism transportation providers, restaurants, tourism sites and attractions, and gift shops. These Gold Standard and certified entities have all been trained and have implemented enhanced health and safety measures.
- Are U.S. citizens required to quarantine? No, unless you have a positive COVID-19 test.
- All arriving passengers who test positive at the international airport will be placed in mandatory quarantine for a minimum of 14 days at the passengers’ expense. It is therefore recommended that you obtain travel insurance prior to your trip to Belize
- Are commercial flights operating? Yes
- Is public transportation operating? Yes
- All passengers are required to wear a facemask and observe social distancing
Fines for Non-Compliance (if applicable)
- All persons who do not comply with host country rules regarding social distancing, movement restrictions, mask mandates, quarantine requirements or curfew hours may face penalties including fines or arrests.
- What ACS services are being offered? Appointments for all ACS services are currently available. Please contact the ACS Unit if you have any questions.
- What visa services are being offered? Regular Nonimmigrant visa services are currently available for all Belize citizens and third country national residents in Belize. We are able to accept interview waiver visa renewals via Speedit/DHL. EMERGENCY VISAS: Please submit an expedited appointment request if you have emergency travel to the USA and need a visa interview
- COVID-19 Traveler Information page on travel.state.gov
- Smart Traveler Enrollment Program
- CDC page on COVID-19
- Travel.state.gov Country Information and Travel Advisory page